Our Savior Lutheran Church & Lutheran Student Center is a church and ministry of the Lutheran Church Missouri-Synod. We are also the Lutheran Student Fellowship campus ministry at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
We faithfully gather together around God’s gifts of Word and Sacrament as we seek to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ to all Lutherans, all Christians, and all people.
Our community is made up of both students and non-students and includes people of various cultures, professions, education, and background.
Our worship services are traditional, liturgical, and energetic. Our congregation loves good music and loves to sing. The sermon, hymns, choir anthem, prelude, and postlude are all centered around a theme based on the assigned readings of the church year. We enjoy having children in worship and offer an object lesson each Sunday that seeks to tie them into the theme of the day.
What We Believe
The universal Christian Church and the Lutheran Church teaches and responds to the love of the Triune God: the Father, creator of all that exists; Jesus Christ, the Son, who became human to suffer and die for the sins of all human beings and to rise to life again in the ultimate victory over death and Satan; and the Holy Spirit, who creates faith through God’s Word and Sacraments. The three persons of the Trinity are coequal and coeternal, one God.
Being Lutheran, we accept and teach Bible-based teachings of Martin Luther that inspired the reformation of the Christian Church in the 16th century. The teaching of Luther and the reformers can be summarized in three short phrases: Grace alone, Faith alone, Scripture alone.
- Grace alone – God loves the people of the world, even though they are sinful, rebel against Him and do not deserve His love. He sent Jesus, His Son, to love the unlovable and save the ungodly.
- Faith alone – By His suffering and death as the substitute for all people of all time, Jesus purchased and won forgiveness and eternal life for them. Those who hear this Good News and believe it have the eternal life that it offers. God creates faith in Christ and gives people forgiveness through Him.
- Scripture alone – The Bible is God’s inerrant and infallible Word, in which He reveals His Law and His Gospel of salvation in Jesus Christ. It is the sole rule and norm for Christian doctrine.
There are many ways to get involved here at Our Savior:
- Be a Greeter or an Usher
- Serve on the Altar Guild
- Read a Scripture lesson
- Teach Sunday School
- Help out with VBS (Vacation Bible School)
- Sing in the choir or play an instrument
- Join the LWML/Women’s Guild
- Attend our Men’s Bible Study (7am, every other Wednesday at Mary Lou’s)
- Prepare a meal for our college students
- Sign up to provide snacks for Friendship Sunday (every other Sunday after worship)
Would you like to get involved? Learn more about the church? Talk to a pastor? Send us a note using the form below or call the church office: (618) 549-1694.